Sunday, October 08, 2006

the wedding

Yesterday we went to Maria's wedding. It was beautiful and she looked absolutely gorgeous. Tina and I are criers, so by the end of the ceremony I had no makeup left on my face! I did lots of thinking last night, a lot about the past. The bride had 3 ex-boyfriends there; she sat them at the same table! One played the guitar during the ceremony. Another's son was a junior groomsman. I saw old acquitances from our bar hopping days. Actually from the drag shows. Some people never change. A slow song came on and Jimmy asked Tina or I to dance and the other would get the next dance. I danced. It's been years since I saw him so I asked him if he was still doing drag. That got him talking and he went on and on about himself, but that's ok, it took away the awkwardness. Maria and Dave haven't been together long, probably 6 months and here they are married. Her mom has cancer and isn't doing well. Maria wanted her mother at her wedding. They look so happy. Every couple does on their wedding day I suppose. I cried all night! I cried when her sister did the wedding toast, when she danced with her father,then mother-who is in a wheelchair because she lost her leg, every time I looked at her-looking beautiful and happy. Tina asked me what got you going this time? One time I told her the alcohol. Damn sappy drunk. I'm a people watcher though. I tend to catch things behind the scene. I watched Tony (an ex- and my favorite) hug her and tell her he loved her. I watched him cry after. I watched her mother watch her and her father dance, with tears in her eyes. I took a picture of her freshening up her makeup. Sometimes it's hard to watch without envy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home