Thursday, July 28, 2005

through a child's eyes

Who tells the child they will never see their mother again? HOW do you tell a child this? I asked a co-worker. She said the person they are closest to should tell them. The foster mom told the boys, a woman where the girl resides told her. I haven't heard back from them on how it went, but today was their weekly visit with dad. I sat in another toom to listen to the conversation, to see how dad handled it. The youngest, who will be 5 in a few days, blurts out 'mom's gone'. The girl, 8, said 'I know and I'm upset'.
The other boy said I know why she left. I though oh, gosh, here it comes. I thought things would go bad then, but he said 'cuz she loves us'. I think the foster mom did a good job! Funny to see things through a child's eyes.
Dad, who is ...let's say limited, seemed to handle it well. I sat there and thought, maybe we are wrong, how can we terminate a parent's rights? But logic took over emotion and I know the kids couldn't be safe at home, not without someone there every minute. Ever seen the movie I am Sam? Hits a little too close to home.
It's funny, I look at professions I wouldn't want to do, like driving a car carrier, but who would want mine?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home