Saturday, August 05, 2006

the good samaritan

I meant to write a few weeks back, in fact I did. Once I wrote it, I closed it. I said what was on my mind, but didn't share it. I did a 'good deed' this week, but looking back now, it was kind of stupid on my part. I was out on home visits all week. I picked the hottest days of the year to be out. So yesterday it starts pouring like crazy and in a matter of seconds it is hailing. I tried to pull under an overhead walkway for some cover because I thought the hail was going to break my windshield. As I am waiting for the hail to stop, I see a man huddled under a tree trying to take shelter. He had a cane in his hand. After a few minutes the hail stops and I am ready to get to my next appointment. I think about the man in the rain. I thought about giving my good umbrella to him but then thought, no, I like that umbrella. Should I just go? Then I think, what if I am being tested here? What would Jesus do? So I roll down the window and ask him where he is headed? He tells me the name of a street which is just a few streets away. So I ask him if he wants a ride. The stranger gets in. There is really no discussion, I get him to his destination and he says, thank you ma'am and gets out. In my rearview mirror I see him run across the street to get out of the down pour. Lisa, you idiot, what were you thinking, he's running and carrying his cane, he could have beat you with it. I thanked God for getting through my good deed unscathed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home