Wednesday, November 03, 2004

just a girl

I know I am just a girl, but I also know my muffler has a hole somewhere, not loud enough to bother with yet. Monday night I see something hanging under the car about half way in the middle of the car. Now it is scraping. Must be the pipe hanging. So I take it to Midas tonight, where I swear I had a muffler replaced already a few years ago. The guy takes it in, puts it on the lift and comes out a bit later and gives me the news. Top of the muffler has a hole and the pipe is connected to it; one piece, can't replace one with out doing the whole thing.
He also tells me that I need this and that flushed, rotors are rusting, antifreeze needs to be changed, power steering fluid is black and smells like it is burning. Gives me a mid $300 estimate. I notice the hood of the car is up while it is on the lift. He can pull off the bracket that is hanging; the pipe looks fine. I tell him I'll do the muffler later, it's not that loud now.
He tells me if I have 'little ones' I should get it done now because with the colder weather, you drive around with the windows up and the carbon monoxide sneaks in, not good for the little ones. I decline, tell him I'll work on it, ask if I owe anything for now. Nope....great!
I'm driving home and it hits me....and I might add here, a little late, because I am usually great with comebacks and a bit witty.....bit I digress....
I know I am just a girl, but I thought the muffler was under the car. Why does he need to open the hood, and what does the power steering fluid have to do with a muffler?

1 Comments:

Blogger D.B. Echo said...

Eh. Probably just a standard full-service check, fishing for anything they can sell you.

They might not be lying about that "muffler-and-pipe are one and must be replaced as one" deal. But maybe they are.

The carbon monoxide thing is true. It's also not good for us bigguns. But it sounds like they were trying to sell you something using fear as the motivator. Kinda like Bush.

Of course, I know next to zilch about cars. I periodically take mine in and say "Car broke. Make fix." And they charge me a load of money, and I usually have to bring the car back within a day to a week because of things they screwed up.

8:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home